Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Gosling Daycare?

Normally Canada Geese lay 6 to 8 eggs, so imagine my surprise when I saw this lot on a recent walk at Granville Island.  I counted 22 goslings which would be a incredible number for one family, but they were different sizes. Hence the whimsical title of my post.



I wasn't the only one amazed by this sight as a young father showed the little geese to his little ones.




The gardener had gone to lunch so it was a good time to investigate the good things to eat in his area.




The adult geese were chasing off the other geese in a very parental fashion but if this were truly one family it would surely be a record!  Look how small the one on the left is compared with his "siblings".

Click to enlarge the photos

4 comments:

Moggsy said...

JMB, I guess I would call it a crèche?

I have noticed ducks and geece families hanging out together as if to all look after the kids together, sharing reponsibility and sometimes seen the same group reduced to two or three adults.

jams o donnell said...

They look so sweet!

CherryPie said...

Wow! how amazing is that :-)

Lee said...

This reminded my of my yard yesterday...I went out there late in the afternoon to take washing off the line and there was a family of wood ducks wandering around nonchalantly. They didn't even notice that I was there.