Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dona Nobis Pacem



This is the sixth year of my participation in Mimi's Blogblast for Peace.  Are we any closer to peace?  Is it actually attainable?  I'd like to be able to say yes to both questions but I have my doubts some days about the latter.  
Peace is the only
battle worth waging

That's a pretty simple if profound statement from the French philosopher and writer Albert Camus.  Certainly many are waging this battle for peace but there are others would much prefer that war is waged, not necessarily for philosophical or moral reasons or collective self defence but simply so they can continue to profit from war.  Then again working for peace is a bit like fighting forest fires.  Stamp out one in one part of the forest only to find another flares up elsewhere.  

But nothing is accomplished without effort and nobody puts more effort into this campaign than Mimi Lenox so I blog with her and many others on this day, in solidarity for this goal, for it gives me hope.


Again, I would like to post John Lennon's very moving vision of what the world could be like, should be like.  His dream for all of us. May the day when the world will be as one come in my lifetime. Peace be with you.

Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...


Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

John Lennon, 1971



Mimi's Blogblast for Peace Official Website


Peace Globe Gallery


11 comments:

EastCoastLife said...

World peace! No more wars.

Glad to see you again. :)

Annelisa said...

Hello again! :-) Our annual meeting...

I agree, sometimes one has to wonder if blogging/ speaking/ writing about peace does any good. But then I wonder...what if nobody ever blogged/spoke/wrote about peace? Would the world be a worse place now?

Could be. We won't ever know, but perhaps we've already made a difference...

Peace to you and yours!

(A link to your post will be on "Peace Bloggers Unite" later)


CherryPie said...

A lovely post, thank you :-)

It is good to hear your voice again.

Lee said...

It would be nice to say we were closer to peace...it would be even better to say we've finally arrived at peace; but, I, like John Lennon, am a dreamer!

Unfortunately, as long as mankind is around there will never be peace. Mankind doesn't understand the meaning of it...and that is sad.

Moggsy said...

JMB, I think you are spot on with your forest fire comparison.

But we should still aspire to quell hatred and violence and war.

Look at Ireland. Apart from some wicked hate merchants the fires of hatred seem to be mostly out for now The firemen are going through the forest spraying water on smouldering spots.

The terrible thing is. I can't help thinking we could be where we are now without the "troubles" if there had been more good will, more turn the other cheek, more resteaint, more honest patience, and a greater willingness to talk things through.

But, no there will always it seems be one or two hate filled old guys, maybe some women also. Someone to fan resentment in younger people, who have less experience and patience and are teending towards a need to act.

Also this wanting to make groups of people and to blame all for something one did. Well of course if people do that the other people want to retailate and if you have some group to attack then the hot headed dumb ones will do that and before you know it you have lost the peace.

And then there is another fire it will take a generation to get under some control.

But I don't believe we can't all make some difference.

Even if it is feeling our own resentment over something small build and make a concious choice to let it go and be cool.

Not being harsh judges. Thinking carefully before we act or if we should act.

Even if it is doing some small kindnesses with no expectaion of a reward.

Even if it is just being polite.

If everyone worked at little things like that maybe the world would be nicer and more peaceful.

No one can tell me that every one can not make one or two little choices to make some small difference for the better in the world. Those differences, they add up, Just a smile or holding a door for someone...

Oooh. I made a mini post.

jmb said...

Hi ECL, good to see you here too.


LOL. Yes Annelisa. But we have the same goal despite the difficulty of it all.

Hi CherryPie. I don't say much here anymore but I do believe in this one.

Hi Lee. I guess we do what we can on our lowly level and hope it filters up. But you are right to wonder at least if man does not understand or desire peace.

Moggs, you did give us your two cents. But we have to keep on trying and believing. What else can we do?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry to come so late to this post. I remember when you did the first one! Love the quotes. Pace to you and yours, dear JMB. xx

Annelisa said...

Namaste

Lee said...

Does anyone know where JMB has disappeared to? I do hope she is okay.

jmb said...

Hi Lee. I'm fine. Still around.

But I can't access your blog anymore to let you know.

I just ran out of things to say for the blog for now.

I hope you check back here to see the reply.

Lee said...

I wonder why you couldn't access my blog, jmb...how strange! But all seems to be working again now...and that's good. It was great to hear from you and that all is fine up your way. :)